Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Footprints of an Angel

I was hoping that the hospital has their own version of a birth certificate with the baby's footprints just like in other hospitals. Pj had her own hospital birth certificate from Capiz Emmanuel Hospital. A half size bond paper with her footprints, hospital seal & signatures of my OB & the hospital director. I was sad to know that WVSU Medical Center don't have it. Manang Leslie (my nurse-Aunt who works at the ER) however, mentioned that there's a form where babies are foot printed right after birth.  After inquiring at the Medical Records, I was told that I cannot have the original form but they will allow me to photocopy it. So, I have it photocopied in a colored copier & also have it scanned. I intend to have it framed later. It's one of those treasures I will always hold dear..

Baby Edrei's footprints at birth
I remember this form. When I was already in my hospital room after giving birth, a male nurse went in & interviewed me as he filled up this form. He then asked me to sign at the lower portion. But Mama objected after reading the content.  My signature was to certify that I had received my baby for discharge. How I wish it turned out that way that after everything, I was to sign the form & bring my baby home. But God wanted it differently and I know it was for the best.

Baby Edrei left for more than 2 months now. His earthly body may be decomposed by now.. But his memory will always be etched in my heart..I will forever remember........

- his1st cry;

- the first time I saw him as I rested on the delivery table;

- his face; his tiny hands and feet;

- his eyes (so much like his Dad's);

- the way he looked at the nurse who teasingly called his name;

- how brave he was when he never cried as he lay on the xray table awaiting his upper GI series and the medtech collected blood sample from his toes;

- the way he looked at the all star cast during that special procedure upper GI series (every dept  sent their representative: OB, Pedia, Surgery, Xray,etc);

- how he grasped the oxygen tube in his nose and put those in his mouth;

- how he sucked his oversized pacifier which was rubber (we bought him a smaller one,specifically for his age & of a much better brand, but he wanted the bigger one);

- the way he lifted his hands on more than one of our visits as if to say hi when PJ & I would watch him on the viewing glass;

- the way he lay on his crib after each of his surgery;

- the way he cried when I was about to leave on one of my visit at the NICU and the way he slept when I hummed a lullaby;

- the way he looked so fragile when he was already intubated the day before he finally left;

- the way he helplessly lie on his cart as he was being resuscitated by the docs/nurses, and

- the way I had felt him close to me when I was finally able to carry him in my arms & hugged him after they declared a flat line..

I will always treasure those 49days he had fought his battle to be with us & to finish his mission.

I love you & I miss you Baby Edrei!!!!
                                                                                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment